…is Jesus Christ revealed?
Paul wrote of Christ. “ For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him…”(Colossians 1:19)
He further writes in chapter 2:
2 My goal is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ,3 in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
(Colossians 2:2, 3)
The mystery of God is Christ in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Previously Paul had written:
“…for the sake of his body, which is the church. 25 I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fullness—26 the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the Lord’s people.27 To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
28 He is the one we proclaim, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone fully mature in Christ. (Colossians 1:24b – 28)
The mystery of Christ has been given to the Lord’s people. He is revealed to us, in us and through us. He is the one we proclaim to each other and to the world. The goal is not to know about him but to KNOW HIM.
Paul further writes to the Colossian believers:
“Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.” (Colossians 3:16)
When we meet with other believers…
- Christ meets with us. His presence should be assumed, recognized and acknowledged. This is true whenever and wherever we meet, even if there are only two or three of us having coffee together.
- We share Christ, the wisdom and knowledge of God, with one another. What Christ has revealed about himself to us is shared with others. Our knowing him is essential to others knowing him. It is our collective knowledge that makes him more fully known.
- I need to listen to how Christ is revealing himself to me through any and every believer present. This certainly includes those who share a psalm, hymn or spiritual song.
Now, look back over the bullet points and ask yourself some questions.
When you meet with other believers:
- Do you and the others present acknowledge Christ’s presence?
- Is everyone encouraged to share Christ and the wisdom and knowledge they have received from him?
- Is time allotted for the body of Christ to teach and admonish one another?
- Do you experience a fuller understanding of Christ, the mystery of God, our hope of glory?
8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces[a] of this world rather than on Christ.
9 For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,10 and in Christ you have been brought to fullness. He is the head over every power and authority.